What is Google’s Local Pack?
Google’s Local Pack (also known as the Google Map Pack or Google Snack Pack) is a selection of chosen search results related to a business search in a certain geographic area. Whenever a query made in Google has local intent (i.e. a search for ‘pizza in Leicester’ or ‘locksmith in Deptford’), the search engine curates results that it thinks most appropriate.
Why does your Google Map ranking matter?
Ranking locally on Google Snack Pack often delivers solid purchase outcomes – according to ThinkWithGoogle, 50% of those who searched for a local store on Google Maps using their smartphone visited one of the given results within 24hrs, and 18% of those searches lead to a purchase within that time period! What’s more, search queries with “near me” in the search text have increased 34x since 2011, with the majority of these searches coming from mobile devices. Further evidence of the effectiveness of the Map Pack on Google comes from a case study by Moz. They found that 44% of people clicked within Google’s Local Pack results, 29% clicked on the organic listings and 8% chose to load more listings. Ranking above your competitors means that users searching are more likely to click on your business’ result rather than them!
How to Increase Ranking in Google’s Local Pack
In order to rank as high as possible in Google Map Pack, there are several ways you can signal to Google that your business is relevant to the local map results:
- Make sure you have claimed and optimised your Google My Business listing. Ensure all of the information in Google My Business is as up-to-date and complete as possible (Google MB signals)
- Ensure that all social media profiles are branded consistently and lead back to the same site (social signals)
- Your website itself should mention specific local areas that correspond correctly with your business’ listed address (on-page signals), and links to and from reputed local businesses and/or press (link signals) will help, too.
- Where you can, be sure to claim online listings and directories pages for your business (citation signals – see our Local Citation blog) as these provide a valuable boost.
- Encourage happy customers to write public reviews (share your Google review link), and respond to every review – this indicates to Google that you have a healthy customer base and that you genuinely care about serving them.
Search marketing, SEO or search engine optimisation helps websites to rank well in Google and other search engines. At Woya Digital we are specialists in small business growth through digital marketing, including Local SEO services. We make SEO services affordable for small businesses through our pay monthly marketing packages, with no upfront investment. Find out more about how we can support your business growth!